Welcome researchers! I am so excited to work with you all this year! Research is the type of class where YOU decide what to study all year! #prettyepic
If you are interested in the class or in the AP Capstone Program, come talk with me!
AP Research Course Overview (p. 8, AP Research Course and Exam Description)
AP Research allows students to deeply explore an academic topic, problem, or issue of individual interest. Through this exploration, students design, plan, and conduct a year-long research based investigation to address a research question. In the AP Research course, students further their skills acquired in the AP Seminar course by understanding research methodology; employing ethical research practices; and accessing, analyzing, and synthesizing information as they address a research question. Students explore their skill development, document their processes, and curate the artifacts of the development of their scholarly work in a portfolio. The course culminates in an academic paper of approximately 4000–5000 words (accompanied by a performance or exhibition of product where applicable) and a presentation with an oral defense.here.
AP Research Syllabus: Submitted Syllabus for AP Audit 2016
Further information for AP Research
- PREP Portfolio: Click the link to access information about your portfolio.
- Expert Adiviser: Click on the link to access information about the Expert Adviser’s role in AP Research.
AP Research Approval Requirements: To conduct research within and/or through Chestatee High School, all students must complete the following form and submit this, along with requested documents, to the Chestatee Institutional Review board before the deadline set in the AP Research course. Failure to meet the deadline will cause delays in a student’s ability to conduct their research in a timely manner.
AP Capstone Tips for Students (p. 63, AP Research Course and Exam Description)
- Be prepared to perform your best on AP Exams! Your academic performance provides evidence of your academic achievements as a result of hard work in AP.
- Send you AP Exam Scores! During AP Exam registration, be sure to indicate the code for the colleges you want to receive your scores. This alerts them of your interest as potential applicant and invites college recruiters to reach out to you to learn more about your AP Capstone experience and future research interests. The volume of AP scores received by post secondary campuses helps drive support for credit and placement opportunities.
- Indicate your participation in AP Capstone and future research interests in college applications. It might prompt further consideration of your application and may even yield a scholarship possibility.
- Be prepared to succinctly describe your AP Capstone experience and give a summary of your research and findings. This brief conceptual summary will help you advocate for college credit/placement and allow you to capture the attention of colleges offering undergraduate research opportunities that you may want to explore.
- Check the AP Capstone website for more information about the colleges and universities that support the AP Capstone program and offer credit/placement for qualifying scores in AP Seminar and AP Research.